- 1). Park the Ford Explorer and shut the engine off. Walk back to the rear of the truck and remove the gas tank from the fill spout on the gas tank. This will remove pressure from the fuel filter.
- 2). Crawl under the driver's side of the Ford Explorer near the driver's door and locate the fuel filter. The fuel filter will be housed inside of a clamp and mounted to the inside frame rail below the driver's door.
- 3). Slide the gas catch container up under the fuel filter. Remove the 13 mm bolt and nut from the bracket that is closed tight over the fuel filter.
- 4). Locate the safety clips on each fuel line. The safety clips are attached to the ends of the fuel filter ports and the fuel lines as an extra safety measure. Slide the flat-head screwdriver up under the safety clips and pry them off the fuel filter and the fuel lines. Set the safety clips in a safe spot.
- 5). Slide the end of the 3/8-inch fuel line removal tool into the end of the fuel line on the inlet side of the fuel filter. Grab the fuel line with your other hand and press the tool into the end of the fuel line until you feel it unlock from the fuel filter. Then, carefully pull out on the fuel line.
- 6). Slide the end of the 3/8-fuel line removal tool into the end of the fuel line on the outlet side of the fuel filter. Grab the fuel line with one hand and press the tool into the fuel line until you feel it unlock from the fuel filter. Then, carefully pull out on the fuel line. Allow both fuel lines to hang down towards the catch container.
- 7). Pry the bracket open with the flat-head screwdriver and pull the old fuel filter out. Put the old fuel filter into the catch container.
- 8). Position the new fuel filter in the bracket with the flow arrow that is on the side of the filter pointing towards the font of the Explorer. Then, slide both fuel lines straight onto the fuel filter ports until they lock in place. Carefully pull back on the lines to ensure that they are secure.
- 9). Put the bolt back through the bracket and tighten down tight with the ratchet and the 13 mm socket. Then push the safety clips in place on both sides of the fuel filter with your hands.
Slide the catch container out from under the Explorer and screw the gas cap back onto the fill spout on the gas tank. Turn the key on and off four times to prime the new fuel filter. Then, crank the engine on the fifth turn. Inspect the new fuel filter for leaks with the engine running. Then, turn the engine off.